Workflow provides a lot of flexibility - you can customize it in great detail to fit your specific needs. You have full control over what screens are displayed to the user as well as what errors show up. The rule engine for Workflow has been built on top of the existing Encompass Business Rule engine to allow admins an easy learning curve to start creating/modifying Workflow rules right away.
How To Access Configuration Settings
To access the rule editor, control-right-click an existing rule or click on the gear cog in the upper right hand corner of the workflow form window.
- Required Field Rules - This rule type should be used for any fields or documents that are simply required to be completed, without validating the data for accuracy. Creating a required field rule will cause the field to be added to the list of errors in the workflow and highlight it in red on input forms. See 'Required Fields' for details on how to create these rules.
- Data Validation Rules - This rule type should be used for any scenarios that require validating the data for accuracy. Creating a data validation rule will cause the error message to be added to the list of errors in the workflow and highlight any fields you choose in red on input forms. See 'Data Validation' for details on how to create these rules.
- Input Form Lists - This rule type allows you to control what forms are available to the user in the Workflow screen. See 'Input Form Windows (right)' for details on how to create these rules.
Error Message Types
There are 3 types of error messages that you can display to the user, each will have a slightly different look and behavior.
- Missing - This error type indicates that a required field has not been completed and will stop the user from completing the workflow while the error is present. This is the default error type used for required field rules.
- Error - This error type indicates that the data in the file is incorrect and will stop the user from completing the workflow while the error is present. This is the default error type for data validation rules.
- Warning - This error type indicates that something in the file may be an issue, however the user will still be allowed to complete the workflow when this error is present.
You can control the order in which the error messages show up for the users by modifying the rule name. Rules are presented in alphabetical order based on rule name.